ACWA will be hosting our next national conference at Sydney’s International Convention Centre, Darling Harbour, from November 9-11, 2020.
ACWA’s national conference, which is held every two years, marks a significant coming together of child and family welfare experts, caseworkers, sector leaders and child protection advocates to examine policies and practices that are making a difference in the lives of vulnerable children and families, and to identify ways we can do better.
Our conference program incorporates a stimulating mix of presentations, panel discussions and masterclasses, supported by a dynamic line up of international and local speakers. There are plenty of social highlights as well, providing delegates valuable opportunities to network, renew connections and celebrate the work of our sector.
Visit our ACWA 2020 Conference website to find out more.
ACWA 2018 Keynote Presentations
The theme of ACWA's 2018 national conference was Doing better for our children and families: Innovate, lead, change. Listed below are the presentations from our keynote speakers.
- Dr Jenny Driscoll, King’s College London: The rights of the child in the child protection system – A case study in ambivalence?
- Dr Carmel Devaney, National University of Ireland: Partnership, prevention and family support – Evidence from the Irish Experience
- Professor Karen Broadhurst, Lancaster University, UK: Birth parents beyond child removal – Why should we care?
- Professor Harriet Ward, Loughborough University, UK: The role of adoption in a continuum of services for maltreated children
- Professor John Simmonds, CoramBAAF, UK: Creating a family life for a child through adoption
- Dr Leland Ruwhui and Dr Moana Eruera, Oranga Tamariki Ministry for Children, NZ: Cultural strands of humanity in caring for Maori children
- Dr Meredith Kiraly, University of Melbourne: Kinship care in Australia – What’s happening?
- Professor Nina Biehal, University of York, UK: Permanence, progress and belonging for children in long-term foster care
- Professor Diana English, University of Washington, US: Therapeutic residential treatment – Not whether, but who and for what purpose?
If you would like a copy of any of the presentations from ACWA 2018, please send your enquiry to: email@example.com
ACWA 2018 Highlights