News & Media
ACWA welcomes enquiries from media organisations, particularly in relation to the major reforms taking place within the NSW child protection system in the wake of the 2008 Wood Report ( www.acwa.asn.au/kts/wood.html) and the NSW Government’s responding Keep Them Safe: A Shared Approach to Child Wellbeing(www.acwa.asn.au/kts/kts.html)
ACWA is particularly focused on:
- The transfer of statutory out-of-home care services from the government to non-government sector.
- Reforms to NSW child protection laws aimed at promoting good parenting; safety and stability for children and young people in care; and a child-focused system.
- Increasing restorative and preventative functions by bolstering family support.
ACWA believes the reforms are critical to delivering better outcomes for vulnerable children and young people in NSW and their families. We acknowledge there is a lot more work to be done and more investment required to ensure that all NSW children are able to grow up in safe, loving homes.
To arrange an interview with ACWA spokesperson Andrew McCallum ( www.acwa.asn.au/staff_biography11.php?recid=1) or for further information please contact:
M: 0418 659 525
ACWA Media Releases www.acwa.asn.au/Show_All_Media_Releases11.php
ACWA in the News www.acwa.asn.au/ACWA.php?portal=2
Latest Sector News www.acwa.asn.au/ACWA.php?portal=1
Other useful media information
- What is out-of-home care? www.aifs.gov.au/cfca/pubs/factsheets/a142092/#a1
- Brief History of Child Protection in Australia www.acwa.asn.au/kts/cphistory.html)
- Report of the Special Commission of Inquiry into Child Protection Services in NSW - The Wood report www.acwa.asn.au/kts/wood.html
- Keep Them Safe: A Shared Approach to Child Wellbeing www.acwa.asn.au/kts/kts.html