Step by Step is a set of carer assessment and training resources. These resources support out-of-home care agencies to provide consistent and high quality assessment and training experiences.
The resources include tools for assessing
- foster carers
- relative and kinship carers
See a video about how the current edition of assessment tools were developed.
You must be registered to be able to use the Step by Step assessment tools.
There are two registration Pathways:
- Pathway A is for experienced assessors. If no course date is shown please join the waitlist as we will diarise a course once there are six people waiting.
- Pathway B is for new or less experienced assessors.
Accessing the Tools
Registered users should refer to access instructions contained in your Registration Confirmation email, sent from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Training tools include
- Shared Lives (pre-authorisation training for foster carers)
- New Shared Lives for Relative/Kinship carers One to One.
- Real Kids, Real Carers (post-authorisation training modules)
You must attend training to use the new version (Shared Lives 2017).
Training for those with experience in presenting the Shared Lives, Shared Stories package.
Training for new or inexperienced presenters.
Cultural Identity: Additional Training